500g (1lb) minced beef
400g (14oz) can tomatoes
2 chopped onions
100g (4oz) fresh mushrooms sliced
2 Tbs vegetable oil
approx. 12 sheets lasagne
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs cornflour
1 Tbs gravy powder
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz)plain flour
800ml (1½ pt) milk
100g (4oz) grated cheddar cheese
- Lightly fry the onions and mushrooms in the
oil until they turn light brown.
- Put the mince in a saucepan and cover with
cold water, bring to the boil and crumble the stock cube over the meat,
simmer for approx. 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and tomatoes and
simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour and gravy powder with a
small amount of cold water to a smooth paste then add to the meat gradually
until desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust seasoning then remove from the heat.
- To make the cheese sauce:-
melt the butter in a saucepan then add the flour
and cook for a few minutes, gradually add the milk beating well between
each addition then bring to the boil stirring continuously, season and
- To make the lasagne:
put a layer of meat sauce in the bottom of ovenproof
dish and cover with lasagne sheets then cheese sauce, repeat with the
meat then lasagne and finally sauce, cover in grated cheese.
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes at 180c / 350f
/gas mark 4
For more recipes and a list of suppliers of quality Dartmoor