and Vegetable Pie
from Russ and Sandy Ashford
750 g (1.5lb) chuck steak (diced)
1 onion skinned and sliced
125 g (4oz) button mushrooms
250 g (8oz) pkt frozen puff pastry
2 level Tbs flour
400 ml (¾ pt) beef stock
beaten egg to glaze
- Coat meat with seasoned flour, put into large saucepan
with onion, carrots, mushrooms and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat
and simmer for 1½- 2 hours until meat is tender. Season to taste.
- Alternatively put everything into a slow cooker
on low for at least 8 hours, check meat is tender after this time.
- Once cooked, leave to cool. Roll out pastry
to about eighth of an inch line 2pt pie
dish (or flan dish) bottom and sides.
- Strain the meat etc saving the liquid and put
into pie base, add some of your saved liquid, don't make it too sloppy
rest of juices for further stock or put in as gravy for another meal.)
- Roll out the rest of the pastry, not too thick
again and cover your filling. Seal together top and sides by dampening
pastry with a little water on the join. Knock up edges.
- Brush top of pie with beaten egg. Make fork
holes across top of pie cover.
- Cook in oven, middle shelf on 220°C/Gas
mark 7 for approx 20 minutes or until pastry is golden in colour.
- Serve with vegetables such as broccolli, cauliflour,
peas or cabbage and boiled or mash potatoes. Yummy!
For more recipes and a list of suppliers of quality Dartmoor