from Rose Mortimore
of Widecombe Bred and Fed
450g (1 lb) Stewing Beef
2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
100g (4 oz) sliced mushrooms
salt, black pepper, nutmeg
½ tsp basil
150 ml (¼ pt) beef stock
150 ml (¼ pt) sour cream
2 Tb finely chopped parsley or chives
- Cut meat into thin strips
- Heat the butter in pan, add onions and sauté
- Add meat and brown over fairly high heat.
- Reduce heat and add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, pinch
of nutmeg, basil and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 1½ hours
- Add the cream, check seasoning and reheat but do
not allow to boil at this stage
- Sprinkle with parsley or chives prior to serving
It is traditional to serve this with noodles and a green vegetable,
rice also goes well with this dish.
For more recipes and a list of suppliers of quality Dartmoor